Vanderbilt Wine Merchants, one of NYC’s top wine stores, is seeking an Online Sales Manager to join our experienced and efficient team. We are known as a place to find natural wines as well as older vintages of the great wines of the world. Our customers range from neighborhood regulars to collectors, to wine professionals and chefs. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, affable, and trustworthy person to make a real impact at a top wine destination. The position is salaried and commensurate with experience and fit. We offer health and travel stipends as well as a lot of opportunity for growth.
Job DescriptionAt VWM every team member wears at least two hats – working in the store as a Sales Associate and owning a critical piece of the business operations. In addition to working in the store between 25-30 hours per week the Online Sales Manager will spend the remainder of the week working remotely overseeing critical elements of our digital business. This position reports to the General Manager. Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as air traffic controller for all online orders post-purchase
- Monitor and respond to customer inquiries as needed
- Attend portfolio events and other industry events as needed
- Initiate communication with fellow team members regarding online orders, custom order requests, and other logistical issues
- Monitor and maintain website content, layout, and function
- Work in the store including open and close responsibilities
- Manage and develop relationships with customers
- Develop and hone a working knowledge of our selection and similar product
- Assist in developing and crafting offers of limited, pre-release, and allocated wines
- Analyze and utilize sales, product, and customer data on an ad hoc basis
Desired Skills and Qualifications
Because of the technical nature of this position an ideal candidate may or may not be a seasoned wine professional. Beyond a baseline knowledge of wine and spirits the ideal candidate possesses the following skills, abilities, and qualifications:
- 3+ years of full-time experience that displays an innate sense for responsibility, curiosity, problem-solving, and teamwork. Experience in wine retail is preferred.
- Comfort with Microsoft Excel is a must. Knowledge of online sales platforms, e-mail marketing platforms, and programming languages (e.g. HTML, CSS) is a plus
- Ability to work remotely without constant oversight
- Experience with online sales platforms. Wine-related online sales is preferred.
- A personality that balances warmth and professionalism
- Ability to carry up to 40 lbs up and down a flight of stairs
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Industry certification (e.g. CS, WSET)