At VWM every team member wears at least two hats – working in the store as a wine specialist and owning a critical piece of the business operations. Working as a wine specialist means being an experienced wine professional, with a strong knowledge of winemaking, regions, and styles. Equally important is the ability to communicate wine knowledge with passion, grace, and humility to a wide range of people with different tastes and opinions. We are a hospitality-driven store and are grateful to be serving an engaged customer base that is growing rapidly.
You will be a critical part of our team and we are hoping to add someone who can challenge us, engage in friendly arguments, and push us to explore and think in new ways.
In addition to working in the store between 25-30 hours per week and selling wine through various channels (in-person, email offers, social media, etc.) the Wine Specialist/Operations Lead will spend the remainder of the week working remotely overseeing critical elements of our digital business. This position reports to the General Manager.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Work in the store selling wine
· Develop and hone a working knowledge of our selection and similar products
· Manage and develop relationships with customers
· Create content for online sales portals (website, email offers, social media)
· Lead the creation of effective operations and best practices for fulfilling online orders
· Initiate communication with fellow team members regarding online orders, custom order requests, and other logistical issues
· Analyze and utilize sales, product, and customer data from the website, our email campaigns, our wine club, and or social media
· Engage in staff tastings and continue to advance wine education
Desired Skills and Qualifications
An ideal candidate should be a seasoned wine professional. Beyond a good knowledge of wine and spirits the ideal candidate possesses the following skills, abilities, and qualifications:
· 3+ years of full-time experience in wine retail or a restaurant wine team is required, with a knowledge of wine retail best practices
· Desire and ambition to constantly problem solve: to make your job easier, make the customer experience better, make the team stronger, and generally make the store better
· Excellent communication skills: not just customer service but knowing when to ask questions, when to ask colleagues for help, when to ask for clarification on assigned tasks
· Comfort with spreadsheets and analyzing numbers is a must
· Knowledge of online sales platforms, Instagram, e-mail marketing platforms, and programming languages (e.g. HTML, CSS) is a plus
· Ability to work remotely without constant oversight
· Ability to carry up to 40lbs. up and down a flight of stairs
· Ability to work nights and weekends
If you are interested in this opportunity please submit a cover letter and resumé. No phone calls, please. Vanderbilt Wine Merchants is an Equal Opportunity Employer.